Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Roasted Shrimp, Tomato, & Feta Pasta

Looks like a big pile of whatever here, but trust me... this was delicious!
Can I just take this first second to say how awesome you guys are?  Yeah.  You guys!  That come here, day in and day out.  Reading my blog.  Leaving me comments.  You. Guys. Are. AWESOME.

With that being said, I think I'm on absolute Cloud 9 right now.  Why?  Well, yesterday... I had a record-breaking day on the blog, pertaining to unique visits.  The old record was 600 visits in 1 day.  Now, 600 is a hell of a lot.  But yesterday... that was completely shattered!  I had over 1000 visits!  Way awesome in my book.  Yes, I know, a lot of you have that many visits in the matter of half a day on a regular basis... but I'll take my little achievements as they come!  So when that next mile-stone of breaking 1500 visits comes... you guys will be the first to know!

Okay, now to the good stuff.

This was a pretty darn delicious meal.  Packed with some of my favorite ingredients.  Shrimp.  Tomatoes.  Feta.  And to make it a complete meal, I boiled some quick egg noodles and called it a perfect pasta dish!

Ingredients:
Adapted from Ina Garten's "How Easy Is That?"


4 tablespoons olive oil
2 celery ribs, chopped
pinch of fennel seeds
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 cup madeira wine
14 oz. can of fire roasted diced tomatoes
2 teaspoons tomato paste
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 tablespoon Pernod
salt and pepper, to taste
1 lb. large shrimp, peeled and deveiled - tails left on
5 oz. feta cheese crumbles
1/2 cup fresh bread crumbs
1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
1 tablespoon dried parsley
zest from 1 lemon
juice from 1 lemon
 dried egg noodles

Preheat oven to 400 F.

In a large, oven-proof skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil under medium high heat.  Add celery and fennel seeds.  Saute for about 6-8 minutes, or until celery is starting to soften. 

Add garlic and cook for about a minute.

Stir in madeira wine and bring to a boil.  Cook for an additional 2-3 minutes, or until the liquid is half reduced.

Add diced tomatoes with their liquid, tomato paste, oregano, Pernod (this is a licorice-flavored alcohol that really brings out the "seafood" flavor in the shrimp!), salt, and pepper.  Simmer mixture for about 15 minutes.

Add shrimp to pan in an even layer, over the tomato sauce.  Sprinkle feta atop the shrimp.

In a small bowl, combine both bread crumbs, lemon zest, parsley, and remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil.  Scatter bread crumb mixture over shrimp.

Place skillet in oven and bake for about 15 minutes, or until shrimp are pink.  Squeeze lemon juice atop shrimp before serving.

About 5 minutes before shrimp are done, bring a pot of salted water to a boil.  Add egg noodles (I love the kind from the Asian market because they cook in practically a minute!) and cook according to package directions.

Place a serving size amount of the egg noodles on each plate and top with tomato-shrimp mixture.


 This was definitely a delicious dinner.  Ina just serves the shrimp by itself with some crusty bread, but I thought the pasta really made it a solid dinner!  Give this a go if you're looking for something relatively quick for the weekday!  Enjoy the rest of your Wednesday guys!

31 comments:

  1. Well your blog is delicious so why wouldn't you get that many visits? :)

    I love shrimp (or prawns as we call them) and feta together, they're my new obsession. This look so good, and you can never go wrong with Ina hey?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on your impressive blog stats!!

    This looks very impressive and sounds absolutely delicious - wonderful flavour profile!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Delicious looking meal. Congratulations on shattering your number!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pasta is always a fab addition to shrimp in my book! =) This looks stellar!

    xoXOxo
    Jenn @ Peas & Crayons

    congrats on 1000!!! I've never gotten that high!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pasta dish? I'm there-I'll like it....looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an amazing combo! Sounds delicious. Congrats on 1000 dear....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yay to the visits!! That pasta is phenom!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. yum!! I'm such a carb addict! Congrats on the record breaker!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats on your record-breaking day!! I feel the same way, my blog doesn't always get as many hits as other blogs, but when you get that well-deserved attention, it feels so great!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Probably because you post such good recipes :) Like this one- I love anything with feta!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. love this pasta dish, visiting your blog is really wonderful, always good recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Heheheh I was stoked to get 245 and then a week later (yesterday) 256 at my all-time high! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Shrimp is not really my thing, but this recipe tempts me to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, that pasta looks fabulous! Congrats on a banner blogging day.

    Come link up your yummy post at our Thursday Blog Hop at The Executive Mom.

    ReplyDelete
  15. So moreish and welcoming.
    Well done ♥

    ReplyDelete
  16. If you get the visits, it means you deserve them!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I really have to try this. I love shrimp, I love pasta and I love feta - it will be a succes - thanks :-)

    My best,
    Birthe

    ReplyDelete
  18. Impressive blog stats :)
    Obviously people would want to visit here---I mean, LOOK at that food!

    ReplyDelete
  19. where do you grocery shop? seriously, looking at your blog is like reading home gourmet magazine; think how many people subscribe to that!
    Katherine

    ReplyDelete
  20. Congratulations! I love feta cheese so I am sure this dish will be a hit for me.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow - that is a great milestone to hit! Congratulations - but let's be honest, you keep posting stuff like this pasta, and you'll be at 1,500 in no time ...

    ReplyDelete
  22. i was just posting on my blog about this cookbook and seeing if anyone had tried one of the recipes! this looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  23. This looks delicious! I love Ina, I need to purchase this book :)

    And congrats on the record number of unique visits! You're a star keep up the great recipes and writing!

    ReplyDelete
  24. That is an unbelievable turnout. Congratulations!
    I own three of Ina's cookbooks, but not that one. Yet!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wow! I'm drooling :P Looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Congratulations on your new record. That is unbelievably amazing. But, it's not surprising that so many people want to see the delicious things you cook up. Your pasta, by the way, looks totally good. I only hope one day my blog is half as popular as yours.

    ReplyDelete
  27. This goes past adding to favourites.. This is simply a masterpiece that you can eat. Fire roasted tomato? Stomach's everywhere just growled. No wonder there is blog action, with healthy hearty recipes like this. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Oh my goodness, this looks and sounds AMAZING!

    ReplyDelete
  29. You know, I saw this post 2 days back, read it and then rushed to do something before commenting.I looove this pasta Peggy..This is just my kind..shrimp & tomatoes!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Wow. That looks great. Your husband is a lucky man.

    ReplyDelete