Friday, January 21, 2011

Loaded Turkey Sandwiches


TGIF!

I know, I say that every Friday.  But seriously.  Friday is a great day, isn't it?  The end of the work week (well, for people who don't work weekends, unlike me).  A day that begins the much sought-after weekend.  And in my case, a day off.

It's snowy and sunny today, so practically perfect to just lounge around the house.  Maybe I'll do some cleaning.  Maybe I'll do some studying.  Or maybe I'll just do nothing.  Actually... I've been pretty productive today - looking at wedding venues!  Andy and I kind of silently decided that we need to have one booked by March and get this planning underway.  We've been procrastinating for too long! 

I checked out the website for The Green Building in downtown Louisville and was pretty impressed.  It's a somewhat small space (probably couldn't have more than 100 people), but you know... the more I think about it, the more I want an intimate small wedding.  Less to plan, more to be extravagant about (like the food!).   And speaking of the food, I also contacted 732 Social (which is a restaurant in the Green Building that we LOVE), to see if they could possibly cater!  So, while nothing is set in stone... a vision is coming together!

Anyway, I thought I'd end the week with an easy recipe.  Everyone knows how to make sandwiches so this really isn't a recipe, but more of just a showcase of the awesome sandwiches we ate the other day!  Sometimes easy and quick dinners like these are just what you need!

Ingredients:


Fresh homemade bread (I've been using this recipe here, and I LOVE it!)
Cajun turkey slices (for Andy's sandwich)
Maple-glazed chicken slices (for my sandwich)
fresh spinach
sliced tomatoes
chopped artichokes
mayo or miracle whip

slices of mozzarella cheese

I don't have to tell you guys how to make a sandwich.  I'm sure you're well-capable of doing that =)

But I did lightly toast the bread (so that the cheese could melt slightly) and sauteed the artichoke in a dry pan for a few minutes (I love warm artichokes!)  Then pile your chosen toppings on the bread and close!  Serve with some chips and voila!  Easy dinner or lunch!


Enjoy the weekend guys! 

38 comments:

  1. I like ideas for sandwiches. Friday is a good day for sandwiches- kind of tired of cooking all week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Talk about the comfort food! This looks mouthwatering.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So fresh and delicious! You, too, enjoy your weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, now that is a sandwich. Your homemade bread looks perfect for this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooh this is perfect for one of my husbands bag lunches! Thanks girl!

    xoxox
    Jenn @ Peas & Crayons

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a perfect sandwich for a day inside. That venue sounds wonderful...oh, how exciting the planning.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I found your blog through your sweet comment on Green Wedding Shoes! hi, I'm Hannah- The Green Building bride ;) TGB is amazing! We had around 100 guests- it was very comfortable! It was the first place we looked at and we fell in love, but at the time had way too many people- so we kept searching and after looking at other venues we really got a feel for the type of wedding we wanted- an intimate celebration with our closest friends and family and The Green Building was perfect for it! Not to mention the food! Yum! Stephanie Brothers their event coordinator is... words really can't describe. She is so amazing! Everyone there was so helpful and so excited for the wedding! The whole place just has such a fun energy. I look forward to reading about your wedding planning :)

    ps- this sandwich is blowing my mind- it looks so delicious! I'm so happy I found a new blog to drool over!

    ReplyDelete
  8. freaking awesome.
    I'm with Sommer J. THAT is how a sandwich SHOULD look.

    YUM.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a beautiful sandwich! Isn't it crazy how super great a sandwich can be?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks super yummy and weekend-worthy!!! Best wishes on the venue hunt! We booked Working Girl's venue before the holidays...whew...huge relief to have that done! Will be fun to "walk" thru wedding plans at the same time as you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Best wishes for your wedding venue hunt. This sandwich looks delicious, and filling.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh wedding planning...something I'm both looking forward to and dreading simultaneously. Sounds like you're making some good progress though!

    Mmm sandwiches. I haven't just thrown one together in SUCH a long time. I love the sound of that maple-glazed chicken!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Holy crap that bread looks insanely good!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congratulations, keep us updated. Wishing you all the best.
    What a yummy sandwich ♥

    ReplyDelete
  15. Awesome sandwich! It looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your photo makes me hungry! Yummy sandwich loaded with nutritious filling....

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ohhh, I would really like a sandwich like that - but you can get so much more interesting cold cuts ind the US than in Denmark - I still have a dream about living in the US for a while :-)

    My best,
    Birthe

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh yum! I get so tired of boring sandwiches for lunch, but with the fresh bread and good meat you chose, that looks delicious!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love Friday too. This sandwich is a sin, I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Turkey sandwich looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Planning a wedding can make your busy life even busier. Good luck on the venue :)

    And your fiance is so lucky; the sandwich looks scrumptious!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Ok, I LOVE sandwiches. I can eat them morning noon and night and never get bored. Love them love them love them! This looks amazing. Just stumbled onto your blog and it is so cute. Thanks for inspiring me. Now my twin and I need boyfriends to cook for!

    ReplyDelete
  23. This sandwich looks awesome and the bread -- just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  24. This is the hugest turkey sandwich ever. I want one for lunch.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh you must be so excited planning - sounds like it is going to be a beautiful wedding. This looks like the sandwich to end all sandwiches... yummo :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Love fresh bread-looks delish!!!! Oh wedding planning-we're in the brunt of it now and it's getting a little tense!

    ReplyDelete
  27. This looks great, and I think you've convinced me to serve sandwiches during the football games today!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Your sandwich looks amazing. I love that you used home made bread...doesn't it make such a difference? You always give me the best ideas for lunches (and dinners!) Thank you for sharing this with me! I hope you have a healthy and happy week.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Mmmm...love your sandwich...so generous with the filling. You make me want to make sandwich now :D

    ReplyDelete
  30. Homemade bread? Your fiancé is one lucky fella, this looks so yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Yes, I would definitely have to say that every Friday is cause for celebration - and especially if you get to eat a sandwich like that. Frickin' yum.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Of course we will do your food. Looking forward to the opportunity.

    Chef/Owner
    732 Social

    ReplyDelete