Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Lemon-Shallot Chicken Breasts


So I have to give credit where credit is due.  Andy made this.  And it was excellent.  I'm not saying that Andy is challenged in the culinary department (he makes "man" meals).  He's actually pretty good.  But our styles are very different sometimes.

We have this system.  A system where we trade off weeks to cook.  Whoever's week it is to cook, also pays for the groceries.  A simple system, that results in good food all around. 

This is my week to cook.  But unfortunately, I've had some late shifts this week.  Well. Two.  If you count today, so really not that bad.  But it makes it difficult to sit down and cook a meal when I don't get home until 10 or 11.  So that's where Andy comes into play.  I set him down the night's recipe and he must follow it.  Of course, I'm frantically calling him to make sure he's doing it right - he still thinks margarine = butter.  So, I have all the right in the world to keep calling him, in my opinion.  Hehe.  It's all out of love, trust me.

And he was definitely good at following the directions on this one.  The chicken came out moist and delicious.  I almost feared using chicken breasts because I hate how dry they come out most of the time, but this was different.  Maybe I couldn't have cooked it better myself (but we won't let Andy know that for fear his ego will get larger than it already is).  Anyway, this is a must try!

Ingredients:
Adapted from Ina Garten's 'How Easy Is That'


2 chicken breasts
salt and pepper, to taste
3 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 up Madeira wine
juice from 1 lemon
1 shallot, minced
3 tablespoons heavy cream
4 tablespoons unsalted butter

Preheat your oven to 425 F.

Sprinkle the chicken breasts with salt and pepper on both sides.

Heat a large cast iron skillet (I'm jealous because Andy was the first to use our newly acquired cast iron that I received for Christmas) under medium high heat.  Add oil and heat until shimmering. 

Place chicken breasts, skin side down, into skillet and cook for about 5-6 minutes (if you use boneless chicken breasts, decrease the cooking time by a minute or two), or until skin is golden brown.

Flip breasts over and bake in over for about 15 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through.

While the chicken is roasting, heat a small saute pan under medium high heat.  Add madeira wine, lemon juice, and shallots.  Cook for about 5-7 minutes, or until only a couple tablespoons of liquid remain.  Stir in heavy cream.  Season with salt and pepper, to taste.  Bring the mixture to a boil and then remove from heat.

Stir in butter until it is fully melted.  You want to do this slowly so the sauce does not "break".  Season with salt and pepper, if needed.

Plate the chicken and top with lemon-shallot sauce. 

Andy also served this with some homemade mac and cheese (he really does make some good mac!) and a homemade dinner roll


This was definitely delicious and quick for a weeknight meal, that's for sure!  Enjoy guys!

23 comments:

  1. Good job, Andy! This really looks delicious. i love recipes using Madeira wine and of course, I love Ina's recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks delicious!!! My husband is in charge of grilled cheese lol! Homemade rolls, mac n cheese, and gorgeous chicken? Where do I sign my husband up? :) Hope the shifts aren't too hard on you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great man meal (and system for cooking!) Seriously, nice job - flavorful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks yummy! That mac n cheese, oh my! I could eat a huge bowl of just it!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You had me at the words "lemon" and "shallot" !!! I love those two things together. Yum.

    Great idea.....and I love mac and cheese too.

    ~Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  6. Delicious! Those are some late nights...and it is good that you were able to hand off cooking duties to him! Do you eat after your shift? The food looks delicious. Mac and cheese and a homemade roll sure do sound like perfect accompaniments. Thank you for sharing this delicious recipe, and thank you for your kind words on my blog. They mean so much to me!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks wonderful. I love a man that can cook and my husband is pretty good. You do ralize that you are now the fiance that likes it.
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, your man knows how to cook! ;-) This looks so tasty, especially with the mac and cheese and the dinner roll (home made!!!). Very sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  9. He is cooking and he is cooking well. This is double blessing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That chicken just LOOKS delectably moist! I love when that happens, because seriously... dried out chicken breast is so blech!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks like he is good cook. Men usually rarely cooks, if they cook they make nice dishes.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yummy!!! I SO have to try this :-)

    My best,
    Birthe

    ReplyDelete
  13. Kudos to Andy..awesome looking meal!

    US Masala

    ReplyDelete
  14. wow...you are lucky to find a man that can cook :D

    ReplyDelete
  15. yum! your pictures are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  16. It is really nice if your man can cook a decent meal. Looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This sound really easy to put together! I love when the man now how to cook, and it's even more sexy when the food is actually good! :)
    The only issue I have in the area - my fiance refuses to follow instructions (he likes to be an artist in the kitchen!)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I would be reticent to trust a man in the kitchen as well, so I totally understand your calling him constantly. Although this looks incredibly delicious. But you picked out the recipe, so I think the props go to you as well!

    ReplyDelete
  19. That's a great idea for a quick meal on a weeknight! Time to go see if I've got any madiera ...

    ReplyDelete
  20. Looks yummy! I need to find a man that can cook :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. you do such a great job of following recipes yet making them your own! love it

    ReplyDelete
  22. Easy to make, but yet delicious! Nice recipe!

    ReplyDelete