Monday, January 10, 2011

Pear-Caramel Ice Cream


It's 31 degrees outside and what am I posting about?  Yup.  Ice Cream. 

And ice cream is something I need right now.

Today was a Monday at work.  A typical Monday.  A typical stressful Monday.  Of course, we can't have a week where everyone who is scheduled actually comes to work, so no surprise that we had someone call in today.  And of course, there's the far too common person that decided that they can make their own schedule and come and go as they please.... but I digress.

Today was also the first day of the spring semester... and boy am I in for it.  My 2nd level Spanish class is ENTIRELY in Spanish.  Yeah, I practically flew through the first level, but no English?  No me gusta!

And I don't even want to think about my 400 level Biochemistry class that starts tomorrow. 

So seriously.  You'll understand why I need some ice cream.  Especially this ice cream.

Pear-Caramel won out the poll on the Friday before last's poll and I wasn't that surprised.  It was kind of the most normal of the choices and it was somewhat what I was wanting to do anyway!

And speaking of the poll... do you guys like that?  Should it be up longer?  Should it be put in a different place?  Do you not care at all?  Some feedback would be great!

Anyway, let's get even colder with some ice cream!

Ingredients:
From David Lebovitz's The Perfect Scoop



3 ripe pears (I used Bosc), peeled, cored, and cut into cubes
3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
2 cups heavy whipping cream
pinch of salt
one quick squeeze of half of a lemon

In a large non-reactive saucepan, spread the sugar in an even layer.  Watch carefully and cook under medium high heat.  When the sugar begins to liquefy and darken, gently stir sugar with a heatproof spatula, helping the rest of the sugar melt.

As soon as the sugar is a deep amber color, stir in the pear cubes.  Some of the caramel will harden, but as the pears cook and they release moisture, stir the caramel and melt the hard pieces in the pear juice.  Cook the pears for about 10 minutes, or until they are cooked through.

Remove the saucepan from heat and stir in 1/2 cup of the cream, and then mix in the remaining cream.  Add salt and quickly squeeze in a little juice from half of a lemon.

Let mixture cool to room temperature.  Puree in a blender or food processor.  Press mixture through a mesh strainer to get a smooth liquid. 

Chill mixture thoroughly in refrigerator for at least 4-6 hours and then process in ice cream maker according to manufacturer's directions.

Seriously.  This is a major pick-me-up on any type of day.  Bad day.  Sad day.  Stressful day.  Happy Day.  Cold day.  Hot day.  No matter the day... this. ice. cream. is. good.


I love these little organic sandwich cookies that I get at the grocery and they were delicious when using them to dip the ice cream.  Who needs tortilla chips and salsa when I have ice cream and sandwich cookies?  Not this girl!

Hope you guys try this one out.  You won't be sorry!  Enjoy guys!

29 comments:

  1. Pretty much ice cream and cookies are always appropriate food!!! This flavor combo is very gourmet, also making ice cream the perfect choice! Would love to have a dish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great recipe idea! I love the combo---and ice cream always makes me feel happier, even on a icky work monday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a great flavor combination! I tagged you for a stylish blogger award on my blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ice cream on a Monday. Love it...especially with that cookie!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Look really good and there is no egg in this! Will try this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. this looks so good! I voted for this one : ) i love polls, keep em comin!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Healthy and delicious! Never tried this combo, sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the ice cream, love to eat them while snowing. organic cookies looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It sounds amaaaazing! I will be getting an ice cream maker soon and I need to de-dairy this recipe! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I thought I was the only one crazy enough to crave ice cream when it is freezing outside..guess now that makes two of us..lol!
    Ice cream looks FAB!

    US Masala

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cool...Ice cream is looking delicious... pears and caramel..yum yum...yummilicious:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. OMG u had me longing for ice creams now....

    ReplyDelete
  13. I can understand your need for ice cream. perhaps you long for the summer when all classes finish and you can have some free time for yoourself. This ice cream looks perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I hope you breeze through these classes! I am here rooting for you, lady!

    Your ice cream looks perfect, I want some! I love making ice cream in the winter months, too :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hey, doesn't matter what the temperature is daaaaaahling, its always time for ice cream! This is a marvellous flavour.
    *kisses* HH

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ice cream on cold days is fighting fire with fire! It warms, at the very least, the soul. Especially on bad Mondays.

    And even more especially with cookies.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love ice cream when it's cold... I think my body works harder to heat up because I've shoveled down something freezing, so it all makes sense in a funny kind of way. Looks delish !

    ReplyDelete
  18. Nip in the air and ice cream--just my sense of freaking out ! loved it !!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Delicious combo and what a flavour,loving it.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh wow, I've never had pear ice cream before. This sounds excellent!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Yummy, this looks irresistible!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Sounds delicious and quite easy :) such recipes I like the most :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Happy New Year.
    Your ice cream really sounds delicious.
    I know the felling people not turning up to work ♥

    ReplyDelete
  24. This looks delicious. I got an ice cream maker for Christmas, so I'm going to file this one for the warmer weather!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Mondays definitely deserve ice cream. So do Tuesdays. And Wednesdays. And Thursdays. And days that end in y. Love this pear caramel combo! Definitely the way to kick off the week right.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I so badly want an Ice cream maker!
    This sounds delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Ice cream is my favorite dessert. And this one with pear and caramel ... I can feel it in my mouth (which is watering right now!) Amazing. Thanks.

    Brindusa @ Cooking with my soul

    ReplyDelete
  28. What a lovely texture and color for this fruity ice cream. Am sure it must be very flavorful and scrumptious!

    ReplyDelete
  29. wow. this sounds SO good. adding to my to-try list!!

    ReplyDelete