Monday, January 31, 2011

Poblano Dogs


How was everyone's weekend?  I hate the fact that it's Monday, but I guess we've got to get through Monday to get through the rest of the days of the week to get to the weekend! 

Blood Orange Vodka Martini won Friday's poll, so check back later on this week for a recipe!  It was mighty tasty!

I'm super excited because tomorrow we get to check out our venue and potentially book it!  I've decided to go with an "Asian" theme for the decor.  My sister is the super creative one, so I'm leaving most of the design up to her!  I trust her, so I'm sure she'll bang out something great.  And plus... less stress on my part, right?

Anyway, we had a super lazy weekend.  Saturday actually marked one year from when we got engaged!  I'm just amazed how fast time flies and I know I'm just extremely antsy to be a Mrs!  One step at a time though.

But let's get to the food, why don't we?!  These dogs are different from your average ketchup and mustard dog.  These have a little Latin flare to them, and I'm definitely lovin' it!  And hey, keep these in mind for your upcoming Superbowl parties, too!

Ingredients:
Couldn't help it, I just needed a bite.


Adapted from Bon Appetit's recipe

2 tablespoons olive oil
1 poblano chile, seeded and cut into small strips
1 onion, sliced thinly
4 angus hot dogs
1/2 cup salsa verde
small handful cilantro, chopped
4 hot dogs buns 
shredded Pepperjack cheese
crumbled Cotija cheese

Heat olive oil in a large skillet under medium high heat.  Add poblano peppers and onions.  Cook until the peppers start to soften, about 10 minutes or so.  Transfer to a bowl and set aside.

In same skillet, add hot dogs and 1 cup of water.  Cover pan and cook dogs for about 5 minutes, or until heated through.

Turn oven broiler to high and move rack to middle position. (If you've got an in-oven broiler, that is.  If you've got the average below the oven broiler, this is not necessary).

In a small bowl, mix cilantro and salsa verde until combined. 

Place hot dogs in buns and sprinkle pepperjack cheese on top.  Place each hot dog on a baking sheet and broil until the cheese is melted and slightly golden, about 2-3 minutes.

Top hot dogs with pepper and onion mixture, cotija cheese, and salsa verde.


These were quick and easy, just my kind of lazy meal.  And different enough to make you think that a hot dog can be somewhat classy.  If you've got kids, this is a good way to introduce them to new and interesting flavors, and if you've got no kids, not to worry... we don't and we loved them!  Definitely thinking about coming up with a mini version to serve at our Superbowl party (where we'll be cheering for neither team, of course).  Have a great Monday guys!

20 comments:

  1. I love coming up with new toppings for hot dogs. I love the idea of salsa verde!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love cotija cheese! I just finished mine :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like this idea---it makes the hot dog look a little classy :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Miss having hot dogs...yum! Great about your venue - so exciting. How did you choose on your theme and what part of Asia? Will be interesting to hear what you have planned!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum, yum, yum! You say hotdogs and I want to go over the moon! Congrats on pinning down a venue and good luck with the other preparations!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks so damn good! mmmm

    Happy to read things are going well with wedding plans! I would have a creative friend/relative do their thing with the venue, too! I knowit will be gorgeous and happy engagement anniversary :) can't wait to see the wedding photos!

    ReplyDelete
  7. these look so good. Hot dogs are always tasty, and I love all things spicy. Congratulations on your year anniversary of getting engaged.

    ReplyDelete
  8. These looks awesome. congratulations on your wedding plans.

    ReplyDelete
  9. They are mouth watering and I am at work with just couple of diet cerial bars yuk!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Normally I don't let Mondays get to me. But this Monday was a REAL Monday! I'm glad it's Tuesday now!

    ReplyDelete
  11. These look great! You have a very lucky fiance!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Girl, I would be a happy person sinking my teeth into one of your poblano dogs! Picture perfect and darn yummy!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. whoa the wedding plans are really coming along! Exciting! These poblano dogs look awesome. I'm not a hot dog fan but I bet they'd be great with sausage.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love those topping ideas! I will keep this in mind when summer rolls around!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wonderful toppings! These looks so good.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm just curious what is not classy about sauerkraut prepared correctly with caraway and sugar, dill relish and a quality mustard.
    I think I'll stick with the classics here and reserve your toppings for fajitas, tamales, and enchiladas.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I recently made that recipe as well from Bon Appetit. It's definitely a keeper! Love it.

    ReplyDelete