Friday, July 1, 2011

Strawberry Yogurt Parfait


Sometimes I wish I could make more time for breakfast.  It's one of the meals I happen to "skip" over.  I'm just not hungry in the morning - and by the time I am, it's already time for lunch.

But a few weeks ago, when strawberries were still in full swing, I couldn't help but make these parfaits over and over and over.  I wish I had decided to take pictures of them when we had an abundance of strawberries, but I got around to it when we only had a few (so the layers aren't as pronounced - but it was delicious, nonetheless!).

I just might have to switch over to blueberries since they're the fruit of choice in our CSA right now.  Feel free to improvise with whatever fruits and yogurts you have on hand!



And don't forget to vote in the treat poll - I need something to make for the 4th of July!  There's a little bit of everything, and no matter what gets picked, I'll try to give it a 4th of July twist!



Ingredients:


1 cup strawberry-flavored yogurt (I used Stonyfield Organic Strawberry)
1 cup strawberries, hulled and sliced
1 tablespoon sugar
2 strawberry-flavored Nutri-Grain Bars, chopped

In a small bowl, combine the strawberries and sugar.  Let sit for 10 minutes.

In a mason jar (or bowl/cup/container) spoon about 1/3 of the yogurt for the base of the parfait.

Add your chopped strawberries.  Top with another 1/3 of yogurt.

Add chopped Nutri-Grain bar pieces (you could also sub in some granola here, but I had the bars, so that's what I used).  Top with remaining yogurt.

And you've got breakfast in about 10 minutes!  I couldn't stop eating this - I was definitely sad when strawberry season slowed down.  But like I said, I just may have to switch up the flavors and try this with the blueberries!


What's your favorite way to use yogurt and fruit?

Hope you all have a fantastic 4th of July weekend!

28 comments:

  1. I love Yoghurt with bananas but this sounds fantastic. Diane

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love mixing fruit and yogurt into smoothies. I normally use frozen berries because I love the fresh too much. I eat them before I can mix them into anything.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love strawberries! Your Strawberry Yogurt Parfait looks really good...and I can eat this anytime of the day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love eating my smoothies and parfaits in a Ball jar! It makes it so much more fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks like my kind of breakfast! I eat parfait every morning! I love making my own and using all the freshest ingredients. I love the strawberry flavored nutrigrain that you used here too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love strawberries and this yummy low calorie parfait is so packed with the berry flavor...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks delicious! And, I'll be switching over to blueberries myself!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well yum! Can't go wrong with a parfait, especially one with nutrigrain bars! I don't think I've had yogurt in forever (the vegan versions are just TOO sweet), but I love fresh berries in giant bowls of cereal!

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOL! I love the title of your blog! I just signed up to be your newest follower! So glad you stopped by today so I could find your site! it is awesome and this parfait is to die for! Love the fruit in it and the cute little jar you put in it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The parfait looks sooo cute in that bottle. Strawberry yoghurt is a great way to start one's morning. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yummy, Peggy! This is something I will be making! =]

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, strawberries...and yoghurt for breakfast? I like the bottle :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love having greek yogurt and fruit as a part of breakfast... but I always have to have a spoonful of peanut butter, too:-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Mmmmmm....what a beautiful and delicious breakfast! I need to incorporate more protein (well, ANY protein) into my breakfasts, so this looks like a double winner!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very delicious breakfast! I don't eat breakfast often enough either but if someone handed me one of these as I came down the stairs, I'd always say YES, PLEASE!

    ReplyDelete
  16. deliciously done beautiful pink looks wonderful

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love this post... This would be the perfect breakfast for me! And I can imagine the crunch from those chopped up bars! Yummy! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. This looks wonderful. I love the flavors, this would be a great start to anyone’s day :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I too am not a breakfast person, somehow cannot digest food in the morning but this is a very healthy breakfast. worth having it.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Easy to make, delicious in taste. Heathy too!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a great quick and easy breakfast!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I normally use vanilla yogurt - with sliced apples, walnuts and cinnamon or sliced peaches or rhubarb sauce... In summer I add it to a bowl of frozen mixed berries (can't get fresh berries other than strawberries) and eat it barely thawed - instant berry ice cream... sort of...

    ReplyDelete
  23. I suspect my prior post did not get through. I just wanted you to know I think this is a fabulous parfait. Berries are just starting to come in here, so I'll have lots of opportunities to give this a try. Have a wonderful weekend. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh this sounds so good! I used to not eat breakfast very often either...but now I'm hooked. I can't wait to give this a try! Thanks for sharing, sweet friend. I hope you are having a wonderful weekend, and I wish you a very happy 4th!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Parfaits are one of my favorites! Love how you did the strawberry yogurt too... somehow I always tend to do plain yogurt and doctor it up. Your is such a good idea!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I am guilty of skipping breakfast too. This looks so yummy! I love how you have it in a jar!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Sounds like my kids are going to have this as their snack very soon! I'll be more excited than them to have this though! I can eat the whole jar!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love your Strawberry yogurt parfait Peggy. I could eat this for breakfast, lunch or dinner. So light and so delicious!!

    ReplyDelete