Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Garlic & Dill Roasted Root Vegetables



If you haven't noticed, there's a couple of changes around these parts!  Obviously, the header is new - I couldn't resist using some of our engagement photos (with our photographer's permission of course!) to make a new header for the blog!  These two are definitely two of my favorites!

Also, thanks to all of you for the input about a possible blog name change in the future - Feeding Andy is definitely a top contender.  

Anyway, let's get to why you came!  The food!  

Every now and then, my crisper drawers and pantry get overloaded with vegetables.  What's my favorite thing to do with vegetables?  Roast them!  It's so easy, and I just love the way roasted vegetables taste.  Throw in a few herbs and even better!

Ingredients:


2 large new potatoes, cut into 1/4 to 1/2 inch cubes
4 garlic cloves, minced
2 tablespoons olive oil
salt and pepper, to taste
1/4 cup fresh dill, chopped
1 large turnip, peeled and cubed (same as the potatoes)
2 large carrots, peeled and sliced
2 large beets, peeled and cubed (again, same as the potatoes - and don't be afraid to get a little red)

Preheat oven to 375 F and line a baking sheet with aluminum foil.

Add potatoes, garlic, turnip, carrots, and beets to the baking sheet.  Drizzle with olive oil and toss to coat.  Spread into an even layer on the baking sheet.  Season with salt and pepper.

Roast vegetables for about 30 minutes, or until browned and vegetables are tender.

Place vegetables in a large bowl and stir in chopped dill.


The dill definitely brings this side to a whole new level.  It's such a unique flavor and I loved having it in something other than some ranch dressing or tartar sauce!

What do you do when you're overloaded with vegetables?

29 comments:

  1. Oooh...I love the idea of adding dill! I love roasted and grilled veggies - they taste SO much better with a little caramelization on them.....Beautiful! I like the title "Feeding Andy", too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE your new header...you two are so cute! I have some beets in the fridge that need to be used up ASAP...will have to use your idea and roast them...mmmmmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your new photos!!!So fun and romantic at the same time. Great choice. Love your dish. Just started using dill in my salads and cold sandwiches. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love all the root vegetables you used! And, I love the new title and pictures :-) The pictures are great! Kudos to your photographer but, I mean, well, he had easy subjects.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the header, that roasted root vegetables with dill and garlic looks awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love dill and potatoes, but I have never tried it on any other root veggies... It looks really yummy! I must this the next time I'm making roasted veggies! Thanks, Peggy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love potatoes + dill! All these other additions sound wonderful too. I love the color too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just the name of the post is making me craving for it. Looks lovely and so delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A beautiful combination of veggies.

    Lisa~~
    Cook Lisa Cook

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thats a flavorful and delicious combination...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Roasted veggie! Looks yummy & Healthy! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. aww, love the new header. You two are so cute!

    the roasted veggies sound like a great dinner idea, never roasted beets before, going to give it a try next time. Thanks Peggy

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like the beet inside Peggy, its so healthy and the colors are vibrant and tempting.

    Nice header pics and thanks for the sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. super cute new header peggy! I love it! beautiful job on these awesome veggies.

    you and Andy are adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love the recipe as well the beautiful header. Congrats.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh, I love the garlic & dill combination!
    Haven't roasted vegetables for a long time, I must admit :P
    Great header, btw :) ♥

    ReplyDelete
  17. What darling photos! You must be so pleased -- and hopefully enjoying planning the big day.

    Having an overloaded crisper is my dream come true, and roasting is such a great way to take care of the "problem." I also love throwing a bunch of whatevers into a stir fry with noodles, or sauteeing them with greens and putting an egg on top of the slurry. There's almost no veggie combo I don't love, so it's usually a win-win!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love the new header! Great pics of you. What more does a girl need than a great man and great food! Well maybe some great roast veggies =)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Gorgeous header :)I usually chuck vegetables into a pot to make a stew but roasting them sounds fab!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love potatoes and this combination sounds so welcoming. I cant wait to have this.. :) BTW, awesome picture on the header :D

    ReplyDelete
  21. Veggie overload means roasting, soups, purees, or added to pasta sauce. These roasted veggies look and sound so delicious. The beets make me giddy. Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Yum! I love roosted veggies but have never tried them with dill. It sounds like a great addition.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Dill is definitely a great herb. A unique taste. Such roasted veggies with dill is a great combo. Sure to try sometime. I love steamed veggies with rosemaries too :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Dill is just the best for roasting veggies. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  25. roasted veggies are my absolute favorite. i never add beets though, thats a great idea. love it!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Congratulations on making Food Buzz's Top 9 with this amazing dish - well deserved!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Ive been on a roasting veggie kick lately! These sound great and look perfect for the top 9!

    ReplyDelete