Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Sausage & Broccoli Pasta

It's late, so I won't keep you up too long.  I'm pretty darn exhausted.  We had our spring/summer volleyball tournament tonight and well - we lost.  It was double elimination and we won 1 of our 3 matches, so it just wasn't meant to be.  The summer/fall season starts next week, so we'll be ready to rock it out.


Anyway, I thought I'd post this simple sausage and broccoli pasta because it's one of my favorite weeknight dinners.  It's one of those meals that I combine the veggies I have on hand and just make a meal of it!




Ingredients:


1/2 lb. ziti
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 chicken sausages, sliced
2 garlic cloves, minced
3 thai chiles, chopped
1 medium sized broccoli head, chopped
14 oz can crushed San Marzano tomatoes
small handful of basil leaves, chopped
1/3 cup Pecorino Romano cheese, shredded, plus more for topping
2 ears of corn, cut off of the cob

Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.  Add ziti and cook according to the package directions for al dente.  Drain.

Meanwhile, in a large skillet over medium high heat, add olive oil.  Add sausage and cook until browned, about 4-5 minutes.

Add more olive oil, if needed, and add garlic and chiles.  Stir until fragrant, about 1 minute.

Add broccoli pieces and corn and saute for about 2-3 minutes.

Stir in crushed tomatoes, salt, and pepper.  Simmer for about 10 minutes. 

Stir in ziti and toss to combine.  Remove from heat and stir in basil and Pecorino Romano cheese.  Top with additional Pecorino Romano, if desired.

This was just one of those simple pasta dishes that whips together in no time!  Packed full of veggies and flavor - it's definitely worth keeping in the weeknight dinner rotation.


Don't forget that tomorrow is CSA Thursday, so if you've got a CSA/Farmer's Market find/Garden goodies to share - e-mail me with a picture and/or link to your blog post @ mtlabor85@yahoo.com and I'll post it in the roundup tomorrow evening!

29 comments:

  1. I wish all the best for your volleyball tournament. This delicious pasta dish will gives you lots of great power and energy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Delicious! I'm sorry the volleyball game didn't go entirely your way - but this pasta dish certainly did! Amazing! I love dishes that come together so well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i'm sorry you lost :( but the pasta looks fantastic. keep rockin win some lose some :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks delicious! I've never had broccoli in pasta but I'm very tempted to make soon! thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Totally love it :-) I love pasta dishes that you can just whip up in no time with whatever ingredients you have on hand. I just published my 100th post and it's about homemade pasta: http://bit.ly/rtAS7L

    I'm sorry about your volleyball tournament. I know you guys played your hearts out and the next one will be a total killer ;-) ACE!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's pretty impressive that you write a post after a long day. It takes me days to prepare a post. I guess I'm just slow. I need to learn your efficiency! Now, this recipe looks really delicious! My kids eat broccoli when it's in pasta. I'm inspired to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love broccoli and pasta so this has to be a good combination with the added sausage. Diane

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aww sorry about this season but...the next one is right around the corner! I'm sure you guys will do awesomely.

    Back when I still ate meat, I made a pasta dish similar to this all the time! Good stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sometimes simple food can be the best. That cheese on top is so inviting.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yum! I often make something like this with broccoli rabe...but sometimes that can be tough to find. I'll have to try it with broccoli!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It looks amazing!
    Pasta + garlic is always a great combination ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Pasta + garlic + broccoli and meat = no worries! Better luck next season!

    ReplyDelete
  13. OH now this is a dish! I think I may need to make this as one of my freezer meals. (Meals I make ahead of time and pop in the oven on my lazy days). I love that you used chicken sausage so much healthier. I use Trader Joe's spicy chicken sausage bc I love spicy food can't wait to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lovely dish and with those tomatoes I know tit will be good; thanks for sharing Peggy.
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  15. Mmmmmm...this sounds wonderful, Peggy! Love the addition of broccoli~

    ReplyDelete
  16. looks amazing! love the veggies- tomatoes, corn and broc!

    your photos look awesome as well- like straight out of a magazine!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yum! Looks like this might be a new comfort food for me!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yum yum yumyumyum YUMMY! That's all I have to say! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. That looks like something I would gobble up in no time!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Good luck with your volleyball tourney!!

    This dish looks PERFECT...simple yet delish!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Simple foods are the best dinners. It ends up being nutritious and so delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Looks like a simple weeknight summer pasta dish-- yum!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Sorry to hear about your volleyball tornament. Since I can't have pasta for now, this is getting bookmarked!! I love pastaaaaaaaaaaa =]

    ReplyDelete
  24. Sorry about the volleyball tournament, but I think this more than makes up for it! I seriously love pasta, and I love simple and delicious recipes more, so this looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Just too bad you’ve lost the tournament. But at least your pasta rocks! Pasta is one of the things you can lift me off my bed for.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Sorry about the volleyball tournament. But the sausage and broccoli pasta looks great. Am sure it taste terrific

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oh my word those pasta look sooo… good – I want them now! you done beautifully:) looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Sorry about the tourney... you'll get them the next time around! :D The pasta sounds like a great way to recover from a tiring day :) Thanks for sharing! It sounds really yummy!

    ReplyDelete