Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Peach Pancakes


When I was growing up, pancakes either came out of a box in the freezer, or out of a box in the pantry that you just added a few simple ingredients to before you fried them up in a skillet or the microwave.  Nowadays, I wouldn't dream of doing either one!  Call me crazy, but homemade pancakes are extremely easy, so why would I want to use any pre-made mixes or pancakes?  Am I right?  Right.

We had a bunch of peaches a little while back, and besides grilling them, or just eating them outright... we tried to experiment with different ways to using them up.  And so these peach pancakes came about and I'm telling you, it was one of the best Sunday breakfasts we've had in A LONG WHILE. 


Ingredients:

2 cups flour
2 cups milk
2 eggs
1/4 cup sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
4-5 peaches, pureed, plus some extra thinly sliced
1-2 tablespoons butter, divided
maple syrup, for serving (optional)
powdered sugar (optional)

In a medium bowl, combine the flour, milk, eggs, sugar, baking powder, and pureed peaches.  Whisk until all ingredients are thoroughly mixed.

Heat a griddle pan or large skillet under high heat.  Melt 1 tablespoon of butter.  Using a ladle, pour in batter.  With my large skillet, I had enough room to do about 3 pancakes per batch.  Cook for about 2-3 minutes per side, or until golden brown.

Serve dusted with powdered sugar and drizzled with maple syrup.  You can even place the thinly sliced peaches on top also!

These pancakes were damn near perfect.  They weren't too thick, not too thin.  They were kind of a cross between a crepe and a pancake in texture and size.  They had peachy flavor all throughout and the maple syrup paired perfectly with it all!  Like I said, if you're looking for a different way to use up your peaches and you happen to be feeling a fantastic breakfast coming on... this is it!  Enjoy!


And check out our CSA goodies... fall is here and I'm ecstatic! (It is my favorite season!)

1 butternut squash (my favorite squash!)
3 lbs. apples (gigantic ones at that!)
1 bunch swiss chard (our first batch of greens!)
2 lbs. sweet potatoes
3 hot peppers

And just a little side note here.  Louisville and the surrounding areas haven't really had much rain this farming season.  In fact, there was a wee bit of a drought there for a little while.  So, our produce has definitely shown that, but on the other hand, we've received an extremely awesome array of produce as well.  The great thing about a CSA is that we're supporting our local farmers, regardless of how the season turns out.  So during their time of drought, when produce may not be necessarily flourishing, the farmers know that their locals still want their product and will be there to support them through it all.  And that's one of the main reason that I enjoy doing our CSA.  Locals supporting locals.  So if you haven't thought about joining a CSA or don't know if you're area even has one... I'd definitely try to check it out (a great resource is Local Harvest.org)!  It's well worth it!

12 comments:

  1. You are so right about pancakes...they are so easy to throw together! And I love your peach idea. I make banana pancakes all the time, but I've yet to try them with stone fruits. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on your engagement. I love pancakes!!! I use the mix in variations for all sorts of things both savory and sweet. Thanks for the info on CSA. I always wondered what people were talking about when they mentioned it. It sounds like a great idea and sort of forces you to be creative.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great way to use peaches! I never thought of combining them in pancakes. I'm from Louisville and miss it, especially at Derby time. Great photos!

    ReplyDelete
  4. YUM! My children love pancakes. I make them almost ever weekend. This sounds like a fun, sunny change!

    Your CSA box looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  5. the pancake sure does look really yummy!! I wouldn't mind having a piece right now. its like almost 2pm and I hafn't had lunch yet !!! yikes.

    have a wonderful day !!!
    jen @ www.passion4food.ca

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oooh, those peach pancakes look perfect. I may have to make them for my birthday breakfast this weekend! I love peaches and I love pancakes! Thanks for a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh what a great idea for pancakes -they look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  8. thank you for linking this delicious pancakes
    home made pancakes are the best

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't know how this one got by me but pancakes and peaches is genious why didnt I think of that love this! Here from the event nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, these are seriously delightful :)

    ReplyDelete