Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Grilled Veal Chops w/ Mushroom Ragout


How's everybody's week going so far?!

I don't know about you, but I've kinda been draggin' a little bit.  I just need a burst of energy from somewhere to get me back into the groove! 

School has been great so far this week.  We're doing galantines and balantines which are pretty cool.  They're basically a deboned poultry bird stuffed with a forcemeat (like a sausage or pate).  Pretty tasty, if you ask me!

Anyway, we hadn't done much grilling since the beginning of the spring because it's been so hot, but yesterday, I just couldn't resist.  Andy's first reaction to this dish? "You need to stop making salads and go be the actual chef somewhere.  I really feel like I'm eating out right now!"  How awesome is that?!  And trust me, he wasn't just saying that because he's my husband - he gives me honest criticism all the time!  Hehe.  Anyway, if you want to fix something special that doesn't really require too much fuss, this is your dish!


Ingredients:

2 8 oz. veal chops
olive oil, for brushing
salt and pepper, to taste

Mushroom Ragout:


3 slices bacon, diced
1 clove of garlic, minced
1 shallot, minced
1 leek (white part only), julienned
1 cup pearl onions
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1 cup baby portobello mushrooms, sliced
1 cup white wine
1 cup demi-glace (if you don't want to go through all that trouble, you could always buy one of those demi-glace packets at the store, I won't judge!)
1 large tomato, peeled, seeded, and diced
salt and pepper, to taste

Start by making your ragout.  In a large saute pan, render the bacon under medium high heat until slightly crisp.  Add garlic, shallot, leek, pearl onions, and thyme.  Saute until just tender.

Add the mushrooms and saute for about 5 minutes.  Deglaze the pan with the white wine and simmer for about 10 minutes.

Add demi glace and reduce to your desired consistency, about 10-15 minutes. 

Stir in tomatoes and season with salt and pepper, to taste.

Preheat a grill under medium high heat.

Brush the veal chops with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.  Grill chops to desired doneness - a medium rare/medium is about perfect for me!

Serve chops over a bed of mashed potatoes and a side of vegetables.  Top with mushroom ragout and enjoy!


This was seriously one of the best meals I've ever made.  So simple, yet so refined at the same time.  Maybe I'm just getting better as the days go by, eh?  Hehe!

Have a great rest of your day guys!

6 comments:

  1. Grilled veal chops looks delicious. Love the color, even though I won't eat meat my hubby will eat it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been really dragging too. I'm not sure why...weather? Changing jobs? Picking up on the BF's dissertation stress...

    You're right--simple yet refined. What a perfect looking meal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! These grilled chops look amazing! and has been paired so wonderfully with the Mushroom Ragout!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. My sons have just discovered that they love veal! I have never made veal chops, but now that I have a restaurant worthy menu, I will!!! Thanks, Peggy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. beautiful presentation Peggy it looks wonderful

    ReplyDelete
  6. My husband loves veal...I am sure he will enjoy this dish. The mushroom ragout is something new to him so it will add to the excitement. Your presentation is as elegant as ever Peggy. I have always been looking forward to your posts, even before the changes in your site. Keep posting!

    Myfudo here...Normally we'd never put a shameless plug back to us, but we just launched our new site and we would love for you to be a part of it. I'd love to share our newest launch with you, I hope you don't mind? Now that we are getting a new look...Myfudo is moving to a new domain http://www.yumgoggle.com This has been a project we have been working on for almost a year now. We just launched our new gallery submission site, and we are just thrilled. We’d be proud to have your work as part of our growing collection to continue to have a larger reach and further inspire all fellow food lovers out there! Please sign up and check us out (it's free) http://www.yumgoggle.com/gallery
    We look forward to seeing your wonderful pictures, as always.
    p.s. We are hosting a Kitchen Aid Mixer Giveaway to celebrate our new Yumgoggle site, we hope you'll participate =)
    http://www.yumgoggle.com/cakes-cupcakes-the-black-forest-cake-cupcake-a-kitchenaid-mixer-giveaway/

    ReplyDelete