Monday, May 28, 2012

BBQ Chicken Quiche


Happy Memorial Day everybody!  Andy and I are both off of work and school today so it's just a free day to do whatever we want!  We've decided to take the dogs with us to Clifty Falls to do some hiking, then come back to grill out some steaks and make some sushi.  Sounds like a good way to spend the day to me!

Since BBQ is the main attraction in many households across the nation today, I figured I'd do a little twist on a classic quiche.


Ingredients:

Rotisserie chicken, meat taken off the bone and shredded
1 cup of your favorite BBQ sauce
1 pie shell (you can use your leftover puck from the pie dough recipe)
4 eggs
2 cups milk
1/2 cup heavy cream
salt and pepper, to taste
pinch of nutmeg
1/4 cup cheddar jack cheese, shredded

Preheat oven to 375 F.

If you haven't already, blind-bake your pie shell until slightly golden.  Let cool to room temperature before adding filling.

Make the quiche custard by combining the eggs, milk, heavy cream, salt, pepper, and nutmeg in a large bowl.  Whisk until mixed well.  You can also strain the mixture at this point to remove any "egg boogers".  Yes, that's my technical term.  You know, those pieces of egg white that just won't homogenize with the rest of the mixture?  You'll end up getting a more evenly colored quiche this way, instead of random white spots here and there - but if that's your thing, then hey, you can skip the straining.

Anyway, in a separate bowl, combine the shredded chicken and BBQ sauce.  Mix well and season with salt and pepper, to taste.

Place about 1/2 to 1 cup of the chicken on the bottom layer of the pie shell.  More than likely, you'll have more filling than you know what to do with - but I'm sure you're creative enough to come up with something to do with it (i.e. bbq pulled chicken sandwiches, bbq chicken pizza, ANOTHER quiche, etc.).

Pour the custard atop the chicken and then top the whole thing with the shredded cheese.

Bake for 45 minutes or until quiche is set, but still slightly jiggles in the center.  Let cool to room temperature before slicing (unless you just can't wait that long!).

Hope everyone has a safe and happy Memorial Day!

20 comments:

  1. This really does put a new spin on what I know to be quiche. I love how the BBQ sauce flavors up all the components in there, instead of just being a seasoning on the meat. I am sure it makes for one delicious bite. Hope you are having a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This quiche sound different that I had before,great recipe using rottiserie chicken and perfect food for memorial day !!

    Ridwan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummy! I have never had a BBQ quiche before, but I love BBQ and I love quiche - so why not?! Thanks for sharing an awesome recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How cool! I love taking old ideas and making them new. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Where has this quiche been all my life?? This variation could get any man to eat quiche with no qualms about it being manly! Sounds Fab!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Quiche and chicken meat is new to me because the few times I made quiche, its always veges inside. Lovely and nice and why not something new with chicken meat when I make quiche the next time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope you manage to get some rest and thanks for sharing this quiche recipe. I haven’t made or eat any quiche for like forever. Don’t know why because it’s relatively easy to make. I’ve seen some quiche recipes here and there…maybe I need to give it a go…

    ReplyDelete
  8. you have reminded me the importance to remember BBQ sauce. It's a non-substitutable source of flavor. Still, using it in quiche is a pleasant surprise.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great quiche combo! So much better than the typical ham or bacon you usually find in one. Hope you all had a great time hiking! Love the new look of the blog!

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh yum, such a creative quiche! love it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love quiche and this is a recipe that I've never seen before. Pinned it 'cuz I have to try it:-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a terrific combination - my husband would love this!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fantastic combination that I would not have thought of! sure must be tasty.
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  14. Brilliant Memorial Day dish. A classy take on an old favorite :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love the new site and love this dish so much. Looks divine!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm making quiche tonight and wish I had seen this earlier - love the combination of barbecue plus quiche - such a fun twist on the quiche. Kind of made it all-American!

    ReplyDelete
  17. BBQ chicken quiche sounds fantastic! clever.

    ReplyDelete
  18. That's a super idea! I gotta save some grilled chicken for this quiche!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love the tip about straining the custard! I hate the cooked egg boogers in my quiches!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thank you That i know. It is helpfull for me i think some thing not true for someone. We can adjust some thing for fit everyone.
    http://www.hibachigrill0r.com/

    ReplyDelete