Monday, March 5, 2012

Secret Recipe Club: Cranberry Salsa Dip


It's my favorite time of the month!  Secret Recipe Club Reveal time!

This month, I was assigned the blog I Was Born To Cook.  I wasn't familiar with this blog, but I found tons of great things - and Melissa is definitely true to her blog's name - she was born to cook!

I've been on a cranberry kick lately (I know they're a tad out of season, but hey, I've never been one to let that stop me from feeding a craving!).  This Cranberry Salsa was the perfect lazy Sunday snack.  Both Andy and I found ourselves going back for more - this definitely will be on rotation when we have a snack craving!

The only change I made was that I used dried cranberries, and just rehydrated them in some apple juice for about 30 minutes.  Also I omitted the sugar and the jalapenos (mostly because I forgot that they were on the ingredient list, but the dip tasted just fine without them, although next time I definitely will not be forgetting the jalapeno - we could all use a little spice in our lives!)

Ingredients:
Adapted from I Was Born To Cook's Recipe

1 cup dried cranberries
1 & 1/2 cups apple juice
juice from 1 lime
1/4 cup cilantro
2 green onions, chopped
salt, to taste
8 oz. cream cheese, softened

Place the cranberries in a small bowl and pour apple juice over top.  Let sit for at least 30 minutes to rehydrate.  Drain.

In a blender (I've been experimenting with my new Magic Bullet - it actually is pretty awesome), combine the cranberries, lime, cilantro, green onions, and salt.  Puree until you reach your desired consistency.

Place the cream cheese on the center of a plate.  Spread the cranberry mixture over top and serve with crackers.  Prepare to get your snack on!

Like I said, this was an awesome dip, just different enough to make you say "Wow!"  I'll definitely be checking out Melissa's blog from now on because she's always coming up with tasty eats!

Want to join the Secret Recipe Club?  Check out the website now!  Be paired off with another "Secret" blogger and enjoy the fun of seeing someone recreate a recipe of yours as well!  All the cool kids are doing it =)




24 comments:

  1. How interesting! I would love to try this. Great choice, Peggy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an original salsa;Perfect with crackers or baguette and a glass of wine.
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great salsa - can imagine so many ways to enjoy this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very interesting. I would love to give this a try sometime. Great SRC pick!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow I love cranberries so I would certainly love this. Diane

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad you enjoyed my recipe! You absolutely MUST include the jalapeno next time...yum. Looks like you and I both had cranberries on the mind this month...they were in the recipe I chose, too :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. The perfect lazy afternoon snack? Yes, please!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm a sucker for pretty much any kind of dip, so this one was calling my name the second I spotted it in the SRC links... and now that I know there's a cream cheese layer hiding under there? Consider me sold. :) Going straight onto my must-try list.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm sure the sweet and heat together would be awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This sounds amazing! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. How is your culinary class going. Cranberry salsa looks perfect and colorful.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love different twists on salsa.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Who knew you could make something this good from cranberries? I totally get why you would come back for more!

    Hope you are well!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow.. this dish looks great!! I have a load of dried cranberries to use... hmmmm... I think I know what I'm going to do with some of them now. :) Have a great week!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This looks awesome...bookmarked

    Aarthi
    http://www.yummytummyaarthi.com/

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a unique and delicious dip! Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful salsa, it really is a pleasant and different change from all the others. Nicely done. Beautiful list of foods for this challenge!

    Peggy, I specifically wanted to leave you a message on your blog re: my giveaway, so you will see it, instead of leaving it on mine. I regret, unless you are following my blog...you are not eligible for the giveaway.
    In the past year I followed your blog...asked if you would follow, but you chose not to...although we have almost the same amt. of followers, for me: minus 112, that GFC took off.
    The second time again, I followed you...you probably did not notice, so I unfollowed you again. Since you are so nice as to comment on my blog, and me responding back, I thought it would be nice to stay in touch by following each others' blog...(but with any luck, GFC will probably take the entire follow list off)

    ReplyDelete
  18. This dip is like nothing I've seen before, but it sounds absolutely yummy! Thanks for sharing this :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm intrigued! I'd have never thought to make a salsa out of cranberries, but I bet it's fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Huh, I'm curious about this. Does it taste savoury or sweet? Could you serve it with veggie sticks? I have never seen a cranberry salsa before - maybe it would be good with fish?

    ReplyDelete
  21. I too love cranberries and this sounds wonderful, I think that I'm going to try this over goat cheese.

    If you haven't already, I'd love for you to check out my SRC entry: Broiled Sushi.

    Lisa~~
    Cook Lisa Cook

    ReplyDelete
  22. That is very interesting recipe! I bet jalapenos would give it a good taste as well. Yes, we all can use a little bit of spice in our lives :)
    Hope you are doing well and the school is going great.

    ReplyDelete
  23. you always amaze me with your simply work, very impressive. looks good thumbs up :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. This dish looks gorgeous - the dip is so different, I must try it :D

    Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru
    Latest: Tropical Caramelised Baked German Pancake

    ReplyDelete