Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Chicken Nuggets



Now, I don't have children... unless you count Andy and my dogs. Then I would have 3 children. But no actual little beings reside in my household. But if I did have kids, I would make my own chicken nuggets for them. They're a breeze to make, they're probably healthier for you since you actually know where they're coming from, and they obviously taste better. So why not save on the Happy Meal and make a happy meal at home?


Ingredients:

Vegetable oil for frying
3 boneless and skinless chicken breasts, cut into strips or "nuggets"
2 eggs, beaten
2-3 cups of panko bread crumbs
1/2 cup flour
salt and pepper to taste

Spread out your panko and your flour on two separate plates. Set the eggs aside in a small bowl. This is going to work like a conveyor belt and you're just gonna go from one station to the next.

Dredge your chicken pieces in flour, dip in the egg mixture, then coat with the panko. Easy as 1, 2, 3. Right? Right.

Heat up your oil in a large saute pan. You want maybe about 1/2 inch of oil in the pan, enough to cover about half of the nugget. Depending on the size of your pieces, you may want to cook a little bit more or longer, but place about 10 nuggets in the pan at a time and mine were perfect with 3 minutes per side.

Can keep warm in the oven at 200F or can serve right away. I served mine on a platter while we watched the football game and had 4 different dipping sauces on the plate: barbecue sauce, ketchup, Frank's hot sauce, and some sweet chili sauce. Andy said if you dipped the nugget in the hot sauce, then the sweet chili sauce, it made for an awesome combination.


I love this recipe because it's EASY. Couldn't be any easier if you ask me. Quick finger food is always a plus. And the recipe makes tons of chicken. We probably only ate about half, so I have plenty for lunch today!

1 comment: